Photography by Jürgen Howaldt
The Bremen Martinikirche organ was built from 1615 to 1619 by Christian Bockelmann in order to substitute the renaissance Marten de Mare organ. Bockelmann name is inscribed over the central Rückpositiv tower.
In the beginning of the 18th century Arp Schnitger changes some parts of the instrument and in 1894 Furtwängler & Hammer do major changes to the baroque sound, add a pneumatical transmission and substitute several stops, altering completely the instrument sound personality.
In 19 August 1944 the organ is destroyed, during WWII, and it is reconstructed two decades later according to the baroque ideal by Jürgen Ahrend and Gerhard Brunzema, with 3 manual and pedal and 33 stops. Only the case was evacuated and used later in the reconstruction process. The current organ has mechanical transmission, A=440Hz tuning and Kellner-Bach temperament.
The organ case can be placed between Late Renaissance and Early Baroque style, with intense colours ranging from blue, red and green to gold. The pipe towers are clearly defined and the Rückpositiv ones are crowned with two angels playing tenor cornets and with King David on the central tower.
1615-1619 – organ construction
1628 – repairs by Johann Sieburg
1638 – repairs by Caspar Valekamp
1707-1709 – repair and enlargement by Arp Schnitger
1718 – repairs by Arp Schnitger
1748 – changes by Erasmus Bielfeldt
1758 – changes by Heinrich Wilhelm Eckmann
1834 – changes by Otto Biesterfeld
1894 – major changes by Furtwängler & Hammer
1944 – destruction during WWII
1961-1962 – new organ by Jürgen Ahrend and Gerhard Brunzema
2004-2005 – organ restoration
|Praestant 8′||Praestant 4′||Gedackt 8′||Praestant 16′|
|Bordun 16′||Gedackt 8′||Blockflöte 4′||Octave 8′|
|Hohlflöte 8′||Rohrflöte 4′||Principal 2′||Octave 4′|
|Octave 4′||Octave 2′||Flöte 2′||Nachthorn 2′|
|Spitzflöte 4′||Nasat 1′ 1/3||Zimbel II||Mixtur V|
|Octave 2′||Waldflöte 2′||Regal 8′||Posaune 16′|
|Rauschpfeife II||Sesquialtera II||Trompete 8′|
|Mixtur V-VIII||Scharf IV-VI||Trompete 4′|
|Dulcian 16′||Krummhorn 8′|