Photography by “Dirtsc”
The Ochsenwerder organ was built from 1707 to 1708 by Arp Schnitger. The contract specified a 28-stop instrument, for the price of 3000 Marks, even though Schnitger ultimately built an additional 2 stops, at his own expenses.
In 1885 the organ suffers a modernization by Christian Heinrich Wolfsteller and, in 1911, Paul Rother carries out several changes including the construction of a new pneumatic traction with a cone-valve chest, the addition of two stops and the construction of a new console.
In 1966 the organ is rebuilt by Rudolf von Beckerath, not according to the original stoplist but keeping Schnitger’s remaining pipework (5 registers). Mechanical traction is recovered and new sliding chests are built. Currently the instrument has 24 stops.
The case has a flat top (with exception of the central tower), seeking a square/horizontal composition. The case façade is divided between Hauptwerk on top and Brustwerk on bottom, with the pedal towers flanking the sides. Flat gilded vegetal decorations are used for pipe shades and for the ornamentation of the case sides and top. The pipe fields composition is, as usual in Schnitger’s cases, done according to a logic of alternation between single-height fields and double-height towers, with an exception just on the extremes of Brustwerk.
1707-1708 – organ construction
1783 – organ changes by George Christoph Seyffert
1885 – organ changes by Christian Heinrich Wolfsteller
1911 – organ changes by Paul Rother
1966 – organ reconstruction by Rudolf von Beckerath
|Prinzipal 8′||Quintadena 8′||Prinzipal 16′|
|Rohrflöte 8′||Gedackt 8′||Oktave 8′|
|Oktave 4′||Prinzipal 4′||Octave 4′|
|Spitzflöte 4′||Blockflöte 4′||Nachthorn 2′|
|Nasat 2 2/3′||Waldflöte 2′||Mixtur IV|
|Oktave 2′||Sifflöte 1′||Posaune 16′|
|Mixtur IV-VI||Sesquialtera II||Trompete 8′|
|Trompete 8′||Scharf IV|