Photography by “Mtag”
The Fürstenfeldbruck organ was built in 1736 by Johann Georg Fux and included seven registers from a previous instrument, from 1630. The organ was inaugurated in 14 August 1736 and had two manuals and pedal, with short octave. The stoplist included one 32’ Gross Portun, a rank of wooden pipes on façade (on the extremes of the case), imitating metal ones through silver plating, and decorated with painted faces. However, as Fux had no experience with 32’ open pipework, the amount of wind supplied was insufficient for those pipes and they were almost never used properly until the 1978 intervention, where transformations in the wind supply system provided enough wind for the pipes to sound.
In 1850 Max Maerz reconstructs three 16’ registers – Violon 16’, Trompas 16’ and Subpas 16’ – and in 1915 Leopold Nenninger changes tracker action in order to transpose the entire instrument one semitone below, allowing the organ to sound in the contemporary tuning. The lowest pipes in each rank were built in order to allow this change.
From 1977 to 1978 Hubert Sandtner proceeds to a general restoration, reconstructing some registers and the wind system, as some elements were already changed partially with former interventions. Four new wedge bellows were installed with a dual source of air, allowing the bellows to be supplied by an electric motor or by manual action.
The case was designed and built by the sculptor Johann Georg Greiff. The façade is composed by pipes from the Hauptwerk’s Violon 16’ and Principal 8’ ranks and from the Pedal’s Gross Portun 32’, as already indicated. Some of the upper pipes belong to Petalmixtur VI and there are also some mute pipes. Virgin Mary with Christ crowns the top of the instrument, surrounded by musician angels, including angels with music scores and angels with instruments on the top of the case – with violins, viola da gamba, horn, drums,… –and singing angels on the balustrade. There are also two coats of arms, one of them belonging to Abbot Konstantin Haut. The console has a wooden inlay representing a fox following a goose, the symbol of Fux organbuilding firm.
1736 – organ construction
1850 – organ changes by Max Maerz
1915 – organ changes by Leopold Nenninger
1977-1978 – organ changes by Hubert Sandtner
|Violon 16′||Holzprincipal 8′||Gross Portun 32′|
|Principal 8′||Viol di Gamba 8′||Petalprincipal 16′|
|Fletten offen 8′||Salicat 8′||Subpas 16′|
|Quintadena 8′||Coppl 8′||Octavpas 8′|
|Octav 4′||Octav 4′||Quintpas 6′|
|Walt Fletten 4′||Spitz Fletten 2′||Superoctavpas 4′|
|Quint 3′||Hörndl II||Petal Mixtur VI|
|Superoctav 2′||Cimpl III–II||Trompas 16′|