Photography by “Werner100359”
The Marienkirche organ was built from 1720 to 1722 by Joachim Wagner, pupil of Gottfried Silbermannn, and was innaugurated in 1723. Later, in 1800, the organ suffered an unfortunate intervention where Friedrich Falckenhagen removed more than half the pipes from the organ, according to plans by the abbot Georg Joseph Vogler (Abbé Vogler) which considered them “superfluous”. In 1829 the organ was partially reconstructed by Johann Simon Buchholz, trying to undo as much as possible the changes made under the influence of Abbé Vogler.
From 1893 to 1894 Heinrich Schlag & Söhne changed the organ composition to 53 stops and added an electrical blower, allowing for the installation of high-pressure stops. In 1908 the organ was expanded to 57 stops by Wilhelm Sauer and a new windchest with cone chests and pneumatic traction was installed. Between 1947 and 1949 the pneumatic traction was substituted by an electro-pneumatic action by Alexander Schuke and some changes were made to approach its sound to the baroque ideals, continued by several interventions during the 20th century that tried to further approach the instrument to the baroque sound.
In 2002 the organ was extensively rebuilt by Alfred Kern & Sons, following an extensive damage during the Winter of 1996. Pipework was rebuilt according to historical standards and based on the remaining original pipework, and mechanical systems were reconstructed. Five additional registers were added in relation to the original stoplist, built according to existing pipework found in other organs built by Joachim Wagner. The organ is tuned in Neidhardt III temperament and A=440Hz.
The case was built by Johann Georg Glume and was finished in 1742 by Paul de Ritter. It features two lateral pedal towers with tridimensional gilt carvings of vegetal motives both in the pipe shades and the case sides. The overall shape is almost square and the disposition of pipe fields and towers in the case helps to maintain a quiet composition. The case is crowned by a Holy Trinity sunburst and two trumpeting angels flying over a pair of blue clouds.
1720-1722 – organ construction
1800 – organ changes by Friedrich Falckenhagen
1829 – organ changes by Johann Simon Buchholz
1893-1894 – organ reconstruction by Heinrich Schlag & Söhne
1908 – organ changes by Wilhelm Sauer
1947-1949 – organ changes by Alexander Schuke
2002 – organ reconstruction by Alfred Kern & Sons
|Bordun 16′||Quintadena 16′||Quintadena 8′||Principal-Bass 16′|
|Principal 8′||Principal 8′||Gedackt 8′||Violon 16′|
|Viole di Gambe 8′||Salicional 8′||Octav 4′||Octav-Bass 8′|
|Rohrflöt 8′||Gedackt 8′||Rohrflöt 4′||Gembßhorn 8′|
|Octav 4′||Octav 4′||Octav 2′||Quinta 6′|
|Spitzflöt 4′||Fugara 4′||Waldflöt 2′||Octav 4′|
|Quinta 3′||Nassat 3′||Quinta 1 1/2′||Mixtur VI|
|Octav 2′||Octav 2′||Cimbel III||Posaune 16′|
|Cornet V||Tertie 1 3/5′||Echo zum Cornet V||Trompet-Bass 8′|
|Scharff V||Sifflöt 1′||Vox-Humana 8′||Cleron 4′|
|Cimbel III||Mixtur IV|
|Fagott 16′||Oboe 8′|